I have officially lived in San Diego for one week, as of tonight. Prior to moving here, I had not visited. I truly had no idea what to expect. I’m publishing this post so that, in six month’s + time, I can look back on it and laugh at my preconceived notions and first observations.
- Where is the sun?! I arrived on Friday evening, 31st May. I did not see the sun until Wednesday afternoon – and it was only out briefly! Thanks to my life wife driving down to see me on my second day, I learned about “May Gray” and “June Gloom”. I had never heard of this before and was/am shocked that San Diego has looked more like Ireland during my first week here.
- It is MASSIVE. Before arriving, I looked at maps of San Diego many times. I knew about the many neighbourhoods, but I still thought SD was fairly small. It is so spread out and has, so far, coming from Ireland, overwhelmed me! I pictured loads of people cycling around, not driving around! (On the same note, I did not picture this many highways!!)
- TRAFFIC!!! Traffic, traffic, traffic! Anyone from Los Angeles or any of the other bigger cities, please don’t laugh at me… I absolutely realise SD traffic is nothing in comparison, but for me, coming from Ireland… this has been my greatest shock. I’ve driven a lot in my first week and have spent a lot of that time sitting in traffic. On the same subject, SD is a lot more crowded than I expected.
- I haven’t yet seen the “relaxed” atmosphere SD is so famous for. Granted, I haven’t had time to get to the coast and relax myself (I spent the majority of my first six days car shopping, ugh), so that’s probably why. Time will tell!
- Where is the dry air?! I grew up knowing SD was known for having dry air. So far, it’s been quite humid. Nothing in comparison to Florida of course, but still! I was looking forward to not having frizzy hair, but I still do!
- Petrol is so expensive.
- The taco shops and Mexican food in general are/is going to spoil me for life. I love cooking and pride myself on cooking most of my meals, but I’m thinking I’ll probably be cooking less in SD!!
I’ll edit this as I think of more!